Monday, February 4, 2008

To the Victors Go The Spoils


No one feels bad for me or the Pats this morning, nor should they. To say I'm disappointed would be like saying "Two girls, one cup" is "kind of gross." The feeling in the pit of my stomach is something that I'm pretty sure won't go away until mid-week. To be fair, thanks to Aaron Fucking Boone, this is not the most devastating loss in my sports life.

No, it's not devastating, it's just a huge let down. I think the historical context makes it much worse than it really is. The warning signs were there, I chose to ignore them however. If you told me that the game would hinge on the Giants needing to score a TD and go almost 90 yards to do it, I would have taken it in a heartbeat. I know how I feel, imagine how Jarvis Green feels knowing he had the probably game clinching sack in his grasp and couldn't quite hang on.

On that note, I think the reason I am not jumping headfirst out a window is that despite the douchebags on the defensive side of the ball (Strahan, Osi, and Pierce), the Giants aren't really that dislikeable from an opposing fans perspective. I love Tom Coughlin as a coach and I'm happy that he won one, I just wish it hadn't come at our expense. I'm happy for Eli (who doesn't possess the douchebag qualities of his giant vagina of a brother) who took an absolute beating (admittedly it was deserved at some points) then came up huge when it mattered. Make no mistake, Eli didn't manage that game, he won it for them. I'm also happy for the iron man Feagles, how can you not be. Again, I just wish it hadn't come at the expense of my stake in being a fan of arguably one of the greatest teams ever.

I am actually semi-happy for Giant fans, who are a reasonable lot unlike their stadium squatting counterparts. The only part of this that makes me sick is the douchebaggery coming from New York and the fairweather shit talking. New Yorkers who don't even like football are talking for the sake of talking with that miserable accent making it like a dying cat screaming while clawing a chalkboard. I was sickened by the amount of Giants paraphenelia I saw today.

No doubt I'm upset, but it's clear that the better team won and won by gutting it out in crunch time where most teams fell apart against the Pats. Seriously, look at this picture, that's the seminal moment of this game. The G-men made "that play" the improbable clutch ridiculous play that needs to be made. How can you do anything but shake your head and say "damn." That said I can't help but feel like the Pats played not to lose, and we all know that's exactly what happens when you do. The Giants made good on their promises, played their balls off and took it to a superior team on paper. As a fan of the sport much more than a fan of my favorite team (which is like saying I would take a free BMW over a free Mercedes) there is some comfort and satsifaction in that.

1 comment:

Dougie's Goin Deep said...

I think most Pats fans have come to peace (if it is really possible) with this game, at least the real fans.

http://www.patriotsdaily.com/