Sunday, February 3, 2008

The End is Near

Here we are. The Super Bowl is less than six hours away. The last two weeks of hype leading up to this amazing spectacle that embodies America is finally wrapping up. It's time for the game to be played on the field rather than just the backpages and the airwaves. We've all heard enough speculation from "experts". The trash talk has been spouted. Predictions have been made. Again, here we are.

A few things must be stated. This is my inaugural post on The Upper Decker. I suppose one could say that I'm dropping my first deuce of truth right in the web's water tank. It's gonna take a whole lot of flushing to get rid of these little nuggets of fact. Also, there is literally no chance that anyone will read this post before the game itself. There's a lot of factors for this, among them that web readership usually drops significantly on the weekend, not to mention that about 90% of our readership is either at TW and DGD's Super Bowl party or on their way there. Oh well. As they say, "when you gotta go, you gotta go."

There is also the distinct possibility that anything I may say about the actual game will be utterly irrelevant tomorrow. I could predict a high scoring affair, a close-hard fought game, a blowout, a tit coming out at halftime, anything, and it will look foolish come February 4th. All that matters right now though is that the game is about to happen. I guess that's really all you can say about something like this. The players, both former and current, have been saying all week that the game itself goes by in a blur. You wake up the next day and realize that you already played in the biggest game of your life and don't remember barely any of it. That's usually how it is with me and big sporting events. Only replace adrenaline that erases memories with wild amounts of alcohol. The dedication to boozing to the point of blackout must be a level of endurance that rises to athleticism, right?

It's not really necessary to point out that I am indeed a Giants fan. I guess I pointed it out anyway, though. I really hate to say it, but I'm just giddy and happy to be here. This is the same team I predicted would win five games this year. The season goes by in it's traditional up and down fashion and boom, they explode through the playoffs and unbelievably find themselves in the Super Bowl. It's just amazing. My Giants fandom originates in the 1991 Super Bowl. It's the first game I remember watching with any clarity. I was 8. Dave Meggett, Ottis Anderson, and Jeff "Holy Shit Phil Simms out for the season you've got to be kidding me" Hostetler are forever cherished memories. This game has that feel to it. Win or lose, hopefully win, Ahmad Bradshaw, R.W. (Ralph Wang) McQuarters, Corey Webster, etc. gave me a special season. If they can somehow topple the Pats and throw their scumbag fanbase into the gaping maw of defeat, all the better. All that exists just right now, though. The game will bring whatever it will bring. For what any of this means, if anything, I have no idea. All I know is, here we are.

No comments: