Monday, January 21, 2008

I'm Sorry, I Must Have Heard You Wrong, The Giants Made It To The Super Bowl?

When I think of the Super Bowl, two things come to mind. The first and most obvious being the NFL's grand affair to determine which team is best between the champions of the AFC and NFC. The second is the title of a "Compact Disc" produced by a friend, 5 or 10 years ago, under the name "Newt". The title "Super Bowl" was not meant in football terms, rather a double entendre for a marijuana smoking device. The quality of the CD was crap, but there remains a certain aesthetic value for me as a distant reminder of my youth.
Just a quick aside: I hosted an Conference Championship Party yesterday, a small preview to what the Super Bowl party could be. I am at work right now, celebrating the final week of employment before moving on to greener pastures, and I'm hungover as shit, contemplating the merits of vomiting onto my computer in the hopes of ruining any useful data I may have on it or in the alternative, the old lady who stole my much more lavish cubicle while I took a month off to study for the bar exam. Either way, it would guarantee that (1) I would get to leave early today and (2) my termination date would be moved up from the 25th, to today. If only there were tanks on the back of the toilet bowls here... I think it would be well deserved, particularly because I'm at work on MLK day. Is it not a national holiday?
So if you'd told me that the Giants made it to the Super Bowl, I would have put it at 50-50 that you were talking about the Newt CD, rather than the biggest professional football game of the year. Beating the Packers in overtime in Lambeau in sub-zero temperatures? Next to impossible. But despite Lawrence Tynes bet on the Packers to win, he realized no amount of money was worth the certain death he would face if he missed a third straight field goal to send the Gmen to the Super Bowl. I think every Giants fan collectively screamed "FUCK!" and threw something after the second shank with :04 left in the game. Like a bad acid/'Nam flashback, I saw flashes of the 2003 Giants-49ers game where a journeyman long snapper came out of retirement briefly to ensure that the Giants did not win the game and a holder decided to throw a pass rather than spike the ball for a second chance. Isn't that the whole point of kicking on 3rd down with the game on the line? There are a number of plays in New York sports history that will always stick with me. That was one of them, and Tynes almost created another. (Another is Patrick Ewing deciding to "finger roll" rather than dunk in the 1994 NBA Finals.
Amazingly, what was supposed to be the Giants biggest weakness turned out to be their most important asset. The secondary, picked Favre twice, (althought they R.W. handed the ball back after dancing around a bit on the first one), the second being the most important. Eli looked strong again, and I suppose at this point I should stop acting surprised, but I honestly can't help it. I've been groomed to believe that Eli's going to panic when pressured and make an errant throw every now and then. For the 3rd straight game it didn't happen and the Giants now have to face the Patriots again the position to standing the way of perfection. I'd be lying if I didn't say that I find the common Patriots/Red Sox fan to be an insufferable dolt.

It's reached the point where the assumption is that they are the best and are guaranteed victory and the rhetoric is comprised of baseless and inane ramblings from a fanbase undeserving of such success. Sure New England sports is experiencing some sort of renaissance and I'll give credit to the teams, but when fans start to take things for granted, (much like many Yankee fans who were teenagers or younger during 96-2001) the whole "best team ever"/"best franchise ever" argument does not guarantee victory.I wouldn't be so brash as to predict a Giant's victory in the Super Bowl and the pessimist in me is just happy that they're there, but you've gotta believe that this will be a good match from the start. Maybe Rodney Harrison threw some fuel on the fire with his "the Giants are dirty players" statement. I'm looking forward to see it all play out.

No comments: