Thursday, January 17, 2008

Around New York in 10,000 Words or Less

In the past few days I've written approximately 3 and 1/2 posts across Assertions of Fact and the Upper Decker. I say 3 1/2 because it's more like 6 unfinished or half assed posts. None of them were published. To be fair I've been distracted, considering a career move (no not blogging full time), likely a move that will really limit my ability to carry the dead weight we like to think of as "writers". Despite that fact, the crazy world of sports and life has been kind to me. How kind?

The Giants are a game away from playing in the Super Bowl. If this is news to you then I recommend you stop reading now and go back to watching your DVR'd American Idol episodes from 5 seasons ago. That William Hung, sure he sucks, but at least he was able to parlay that into a minor celebrity status. (The William Hung Jury - Arrested Development)

Seriously, when auditioning for American Idol, you HAVE TO KNOW you suck. Either that or there are a lot of people back home laughing at your expense or are too nice to tell you that you suck before going on national television. Seriously I hate that kind of TV (well documented on AoF - I'll probably continue this diatribe over there)...

Back to the Giants, I hate to say it, but if the Upper Decker existed back when the season started, I would have published a number of predictions that I'd heard for the Giants regular season record. Keep in mind this was pre-Strahan not retiring but post-Tiki Barber retiring and sucking at daytime/morning television. At it's worst the predictions were 3-13 and at it's best 6-10. At no point were the predictions, "make the playoffs and win two games beating the "best team" in the NFC". I put best team in quotes because Dallas may have actually been the best team during the season but it certainly didn't show. The win over Dallas could only have served as a confidence booster for the Giants despite the depleted secondary and hopefully that momentum can propel them through Green Bay and into the Super Bowl for a rematch against the Patriots. Unfortunately, the pessimistic fan in me wants to believe this but realistically has to think that more likely than not, the weather will get the best of Eli and the Packers may actually just be too good for the Giants to overcome.
The Knicks are another story. Clearly Isaiah Thomas read my last Knicks related column and has gone with chemistry over star-power. And it actually worked. The Knicks have won 3 straight games without Starbury in the lineup, Nate Robinson running the point and Crawford playing solid for a full 42 mins rather than just the 4th Quarter. Balkman is the poor man's Tayshaun Prince, and his hustle and effect on the game is definitely noticable. As good as the Knicks have looked, beating New Jersey, Detriot, and Washington clearly Isaiah missed the second half of my column, in which his primary goal is to be the worst team in the NBA. Worst record = more chances at winning the lottery for the first pick in the draft. I'm excited to see the team play well, but I know it's a lost cause this season. Yes I'm advocating tanking. Maybe they are tanking, and have managed to just make it look good. Unfortunately, Miami is better at it....someone's always better...

As for the Mets, this Johan Santana crap has to stop. I realize it's not Omar's fault, it's mostly on the Twins end, but fuck the Yankees and the Red Sox for even being involved. They're always involved, except in the case of Carlos Beltran, which seems like the dumbest non-signing they could have not been involved in. How's center field look right now? And don't try to sell me on Melky Cabrera, not yet. Sure he's good enough for the majors but ultimately nothing special. I'm sick of supposed "inside sources" writing about how Hank Steinbrenner pulled the Yankees offer, and the next day, Hank denies it, or that the Red Sox aren't interested and then backtracking on that story, or that the Mets are out of it then suddenly they have the most attractive package of prospects to trade. I can see it now, nothing is going to happen until the trading deadline then the Twins will get fleeced by someone because they held out too long and Santana will sign a ridiculous extension and his arm falls off.

Or I could just still be bitter about last season. I really wish I could openly hate Tom Glavine for his 7 run 1/3 of an inning performance in what was the most important game of the season, without feeling a small amount of guilt for the few good years he did give the Mets (and a few bad ones - fuck QuesTec.) You know what, I have a right to be pissed and bitter, plus he's a Brave again. Perhaps that was all meant to make things right in the world.

A quick poll: I found two autographed baseballs from my youth. I'm trying to determine which one is more valuable/interesting. Tim Teufel or Gregg Jeffries. Teufel, a member of the 1986 World Series team. Jeffries, a hugely hyped prospect that never panned out for the Mets, was eventually traded and ended up having a solid career in the majors? Poll to the right.

No comments: