Monday, December 17, 2007

As a Mets fan, I feel like I should't be talking about the Yankees/Yankee players so frequently. But somehow, A-Rod's situation with Scott Boras and the Yankees seems to be the most compelling baseball talk coming out of New York. Not since Mike Piazza held a press conference to confirm to the media that he is in fact, not gay, have the Mets garnered more non-baseball related media attention. How much attention is A-Rod getting? A spot on 60 Minutes talking about his lack of communication with his agent. Does anyone else recall when it was the "in" thing to start a rumor that a New York athelete was gay? First it was Piazza, then Mark Messier who was spotted at a hockey game sitting next to a guy. Two guys watching a hockey game together? Appalling. Then it was Michael Strahan, who was rumored to be shacking up with his doctor friend, while going through a messy divorce. Most recently, the Jeter, A-Rod, and Johnny Damon love triangle. Ok, I made that one up, but it wouldn't be THAT surprising would it?. For the moment, I digress.
This weekend, watching the Giants lose to the Redskins in a fantastically bad fashion, the same feeling of dispair washed over me that I felt while watching Tom Glavine surrender seven runs in a 1/3 of an inning while sitting in the mezzanine at Shea Stadium. As a rule, I generally refrain from drinking (too much) during day games. (I've collected quite a few souvenier cups though). They tend to be family affairs, and crude language is usually not appreciated. For the 2006 season the same kid(s) sat near me. 2007 season, they relocated, only to be replaced with more kids. I'm not saying that the Giants are not making the playoffs, since there really isn't an equivalent to the Phillies making a run for a Wild Card spot, but anyone watching the game against Washington has to realize that the Giants are pretty much F'd. Another 10-6 season, getting bounced in the first round behind whats sure to be another disappointing playoff performance. I'm looking for Eli to throw for about 175 yards and two picks, with the remote possibility of a touchdown, and the Giants to lose (to whomever) by at least two scores. There will be plenty of confused/angry looks on Tom Coughlin's face, and Eli will be stoic, with hardly an indication of disappointment (who needs to win when you're a Manning?). I'd imagine there will also be at least 5 catchable balls dropped, someone will go down with an early injury, and there will be one ill advised challenge flag thrown, likely out of frustration. This of course, is all assuming they don't shit the bed in these last two weeks.
Back to A-Rod. The last time I opted out of a contract and my agent announced it during the World Series, I refused to talk to him for months. Problem was, I was my own agent and those few months were really very quiet. Kind words were not exchanged, but utimately we had to find a way to make it work. I'm pretty sure I'm my only readership. A-Rod on the other hand, needs to find a new agent. Scott Boras has crafted a public image and reputation that imputes itself on his clients. Oh Scott Boras is your agent? Well then, you're probably an overpaid, under-performing, pretty boy. In the past, chances were you'd end up on the Yankees Disabled List, as George Steinbrenner was frequently blinded by the Boras rhetoric and charm and huge contracts. Brian Cashman must be relieved that he doesn't have to deal with the headache in George, only two slightly smaller headaches with an unrealistic view of the Yankees place in the baseball universe.
Now A-Rod is working on revitalizing his public image. This is at the expense of Boras, although he could be ultimately behind it all. Supposedly A-Rod isn't speaking to Boras, and like the Daily News Page Six Gossip column, we're supposed to care. This has nothing to do with baseball, and everything to do with the Yankees making news where there is no news at all. Last I heard, Pedro and Mr. Met are no longer on speaking terms. Something about Pedro using his baseball head for long toss. Look for 60 Minutes to cover that story next week.

No comments: